From the Code of Canon Law
Choosing a sponsor/godparent
This is a twofold purpose:-
1. To assist the parents in discharging their duties as Christian parents.
2. To be a model of Christian living to the child in question.
Hence some people may not be suitable as godparents.
Code of Canon Law:
873 One sponsor is sufficient, but there may be two.
874 A sponsor must be:
• not less than 16 years of age (exceptions can be made by Bishop, parish priest.)
• be a catholic who has been confirmed and has received the blessed Eucharist, and who lives a life of faith.
• a baptised person who belongs to a non-catholic ecclesial community may be admitted but only in company with a catholic sponsor and simply as a witness to the baptism.
“The greatest day in the life of a pope
is not his coronation but his baptism,
the day of his mission
to live the Christian life
in obedience to the gospel.”