Ms. Geraldine Kennedy
Telephone - 01 4934889
Website - www.sanctamariacollege.com
Sancta Maria College is a tribute to the Sisters of Mercy whose presence and dedication to the people of the area predates the Parish and who clearly instilled that the school had to adapt to the needs of the times. The Sisters of Mercy have recently joined four other Religious Orders in the formation of a new trust body called CEIST (Catholic Education in Irish Schools Trust), so Sancta Maria is now a Mercy School under the aegis of CEIST.
In April 2007 Sancta Maria had a Whole School Evaluation by the Inspectorate of the Department of Education and Science and the final report is now on the website for the Department of Education and Science. The main recommendation from the report is that Sancta Maria should promote itself more and it is an excellent school.
Some of the features of the College are:
- excellent academic results
- dedicated and caring teachers
- good spiritual care of students
- wide choice of languages - French, Italian, Spanish
- excellence in art and choir, speech and drama
- optional transition year
- participation and outstanding achievements in inter-school sport competitions; hockey, football, tennis, badminton camogie gaelic football and athletics
- an excellent career guidance programme
- services such as Chaplaincy, counselling, evening study
- good care for students with special needs
- reputation for being a caring school
- good balance between the need for teenagers to have boundaries and the understanding of individuals
- vibrant, joyful community spirit.
The Department of Education and Science has promised €10.9 million for a building project for the college for much needed new building. The project will include a new building with classrooms, science laboratories, demolition of the 'Long Corridor' and a new sports hall.